Overview of the Organization
Date of Establishment
April 1, 2003
Legal Basis for Establishment
Act on General Rules for Incorporated Administrative Agencies
Act on the National Statistics Center, Incorporated Administrative Agency
To perform data processing for various statistical surveys and research on statistical technology integrally. To ensure the reliability of statistics and contribute to the improvement of statistical technology.
Minister in charge
Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications
Scope of our Work
- To perform data processing for Population Census.
- To conduct and perform data processing for the census and statistical surveys under entrustment from national government administrative organs and local governments.
- To accumulate and process necessary information for producing and using statistics.
- To research technologies necessary for affairs concerning 1 – 3 above.
- To provide questionnaire information using on-site facilities, data of custom-made tabulation and anonymized data under entrustment from national government administrative organs and incorporated administrative agencies based on the Statistics Act.
- To conduct activities concerning each affair mentioned above.
|1871||Main Office of the Meiji government establishes Statistics Division.|
|1885||Meiji Cabinet establishes the Statistics Bureau.|
|1920||First nationwide population census (October 1).|
|1949||Bureau is transferred to the Prime Minister’s Office, becoming the data processing department, the Statistics Bureau of the Prime Minister’s Office.|
|1984||Statistics Center established as part of the new Management and Coordination Agency.|
|2001||With the restructuring of the central government, the Statistics Center become part of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.|
|2003||The National Statistics Center begins operations as an incorporated administrative agency.|
Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Bldg. 2 19-1 Wakamatsu-cho, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo 162-8668
* Please convert “_atmark_” to @ when you send an e-mail to us.